Citizenship Through Parent N-600

Portland N-600 Attorney

Get Proof of Citizenship with Our Help

Offices in Medford & the Portland Area

If you were born to a U.S. citizen parent or parents outside the borders of the United States, you may eventually need to go through the formal procedure of establishing your own U.S. citizenship. Children born of at least one U.S. citizen parent will in some cases automatically qualify for citizenship even if they are born abroad. A child born of at least one parent that naturalizes before the child turns 18 will also generally be eligible for citizenship status.

Form N-600 allows you to “claim” citizenship in these situations and establishes that you qualify due to your parentage. Our Portland N-600 lawyer has over 15 years of experience and can help you prepare and file the Application for Certificate of Citizenship. At Sarpa Law, we are committed to helping families navigate complex immigration challenges and are ready to help you secure citizenship for your children.

Schedule an initial consultation to discuss your options for filing Form N-600 by calling our Medford location at (503) 755-5587 or our Portland location at (541) 262-6677.

Who Should File Form N-600?

No matter your circumstances, having proof of your U.S. citizenship is extremely important. You will need some evidence that you are a U.S. citizen if you wish to acquire a U.S. passport or sponsor family members for green cards. You may also need to at some point prove to the U.S. government that you are a citizen if your immigration status comes into question.

Form N-600 can be used in various circumstances, one is for situations in which a minor child has a right to U.S. citizenship. A child fulfills “derivation” requirements if one or both of their biological or adoptive parents naturalize before the child turns 18. To receive a Certificate of Citizenship through this form, a child must be under the age of 18, currently located in the U.S., and in the physical and legal custody of the U.S. citizen parent or parents.

Form N-600 can also be used by an adult who meets strict “acquisition” criteria and they were born of or adopted by at least one U.S. citizen parent while abroad.

Not everyone that needs proof of citizenship will necessarily apply through Form N-600. If you were born in the United States, your U.S. birth certificate is sufficient evidence to prove your citizenship. If you became a citizen through naturalization, you only need your Certificate of Naturalization. If you are located outside the United States, you should submit a passport application to the U.S. State Department instead of filing N-600, although exceptions apply. Our Portland N-600 attorney can review your situation and advise how to move forward.

If you believe your child qualifies for U.S. citizenship, do not hesitate to call our Medford office at (503) 755-5587, our Portland office at (541) 262-6677, or contact us online to discuss your options. We offer our legal services in English and Spanish.

Making a Difference

  • Over 15 Years of Legal Experience
  • Nearly Perfect Success Rate for Approvals
  • First Class Service
  • Honesty Above All Else
Your Immigration Goals Are Our Focus Schedule a Consultation With Sarpa Law Today